Thursday, March 4, 2010

What is beauty?

I've had the thought today of what is beauty? With the day care that I work at, we had class pictures done. I had mine done that day as well. I did it on a whim, I had not done my make-up that day or had done my hair. When I got the proofs back I was pleasntly surprised. The pictures turned out pretty good. I did select one and will have to post it when it comes in.

Now I like wearing make-up and doing my hair, but it's not a "must do" each day. I know of some women who don't go out of the house with out some sort of make up on. And I know other women who never wear make up. Both women are beautiful!

I was reading an article about children (specifically girls) and beauty. It was amazing! And scary all at the same time, no not scary good, scary uspetting. The article said that 81% of girls at age 10 are worried about getting fat! I can say yes I've seen this to be true. I was at a McDonalds a few years ago and there were a couple of young girls maybe age 8 or 9 and they were asking the Mum to buy them a salad with a small fry. Are you kidding me! Young girls need to not worry about being fat or getting fat at all!

Also in this article (http://ezinearticles.com/?Unnaturally-Beautiful-Children---Image-and-Beauty&id=2378644) girls at age 13 are using beauty products, and that girls age 11 - 14 are exposed to at least 500 advertisments for beauty products or body image products (Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers etc...)

It doesn't help that the reality TV show "America's Next Top Model" has girls who are super skinny on it. I've only seen one girl who would probably be considered a "plus" size model. It was pointed out one time on the show one season, she was I think a size 12! A size 12! Come on! The average size woman in Canada is a 11/12! I used to be a size 16 - 18, I'm choosing to live healthier and right now I'm a size 11! I'm proud of what I've done so far. I'm not done yet. I will get to a size 8. But I'm doing it my way, not crazy fast.

There's a great program by Dove Canada about body image and beauty for girls. Here's the mini movie from YouTube that they made! It's amazing the changes!



Remember that beauty is all around you in all the people you meet. Each one is beautiful! As women we don't have to be a size 2 to be beautiful!

No comments: