Saturday, March 5, 2011

Acts of Kindness

I had an interesting day yesterday, was attending an all day seminar/workshop with all of my co-workers.  It was about culture and spirituality.  How we fit it into our working environment.  I work for an organization here in Calgary that is all first nations/metis staff.  I am one of the only white people working for the organization.

So for most of the day I sat and was an observer, didn't speak hardly at all.  The first thing we did was a pipe ceremony, I've never participated in a pipe ceremony before.  It was wonderful to be a part of it.  Women sititng on one side in long skirts, men on the other.  There were four people sitting at the front of the circle at an alter made of blankets and other special symbols.  Each person at the front of the circle did their own cleansing/smudging of their pipe.  Prayers were said and then the pipes were all passed around, if you didn't chose to smoke that was okay, we were to just put the lips of the pipe to our sides of our body, our heart and the other side of our chest.  It was a wonderful experience to be apart of.

I learned about the history of the organization and then we all after lunch had the opportunity to speak about different things related to the culture and spirituality of our different groups.  I heard things like do I belong, am I native enough from others.  I really started to doubt myself working for the organization.  I thought maybe I didn't belong because I'm not native, I have lots to learn about the culture and spirituality.

When I did choose to speak I only spoke the positve part that I was thinking.  Because I also heard things like being kind.  I spoke about that.  Starting in the Parent Link centre where I am now back in August has been an adjustment.  My co-workers I acknowledged in my speaking and said that they have been so kind and accepting of me, even with all my quirks.  I thanked everyone for allowing me to be there, to participate in the ceremony earlier in the morning.  Being non native I feel very honoured and blessed to be working with such a great organization.

When I got home yesterday, I took myself out for supper.  I had a gift certificate that I was gifted with from an event about a week ago.  When there, I enjoyed my meal, and observing the others around me.  I saw a table of six, two parents and four children.  I called the server over and said that I wanted to put a $20 payment on their bill.  The server figured it out and said sure.  When he went to the table of six and gave them their bill, he told them that $20 had been taken off  by me.  They all stared at me and the husband even stood up and looked at me.  The husband came over and asked if we knew each other.  I said no we don't.  I explained the "pay it forward" or "random acts of kindness" to him.  He went back to his table and explained it to his family.

On the way out, the family all came by and said thank you.  I recieved their thank you, and just asked each one of them to pay it forward.  Encouraging them to do it for someone they don't know.  It was a wonderful experience to witness. 

So Sister, I encourage you, do a random act of kindness for someone you see this weekend.  It might just change the course of their life!

Find  below a video about kindness.  I found it on you-tube!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

BIG BIG LOVE - Aime!! Jenn :)

Aime said...

Thanks Jenn!!! Love to you too!