Sunday, August 8, 2010

Memories from childhood that bring you to smile!

Sitting here in a local coffee shop this morning it is raining. When I was coming into the coffee shop it hadn't started to rain yet. Although I knew it had, by the puddles on the ground, but more importantly there was an aroma in the air that I could tell it had rained during the over night.

The aroma that was in the air took me back to my childhood. I was a flood of memories from when I was in Girl Guides and camping. It was the same aroma that I would smell after it had just rained. I thought about being a girl again, being out in nature camping. Soaking up all that was around me. It was a happy time, to be in nature. I was reminded of being surrounded by trees, the water, and the beauty of Mother Nature.

There are other memories that I have that are only brought on by specific aroma's. For example when I am visiting my family back home in Ontario, sometimes Mum will make porridge on the stove. The aroma of the oats cooking on the stove remind me from when I was little, and she would do the same thing.

Or perhaps it's a memory from something you see? When I see little girls playing/exploring out in a park, in nature, it reminds me when I was a little girl, being out in nature in a forest with my father. We would go and collect fire wood for our wood burning stove that we had. I would spend more time exploring the tree's looking for places where fairy's live or woodland creatures like squirls or chipmunks. I would help my Dad yes, but I was more concerned about finding houses for the animals and fairy's.

Another happy memory that is sprung from seeing others is again when I see little girls dancing/twirling in space. I am reminded of when I took ballet lessons as a young girl. I had so much fun dancing wearing the pretty costumes that had all the sparkles.

And now I am dancing still, but instead of sparkles and sequins, I have feathers! It is such a rewarding experience to be dancing again. I have women come up to me after they see me dance, and ask how do I do it? There are many women who see me dance who want to dance like myself and the others in my dance troop but are either to afraid to do so, or don't think they can dance. Goddesses! Let me tell you a little secret....if you can walk, you can dance! Just move your body to the music, feel the music in your heart, and let your body move to it!

No comments: